Artist in Residence
Inly’s Artist in Residence program hosts an artist for an 8-week teaching residency each year.
About the Residency
Embedded in the community, the artist will provide in-classroom instruction to students at all levels, from toddler to middle school. The artist will be a visible presence during the school day, with a dedicated studio space that allows students to observe and understand the artistic process. Inly will provide housing for the duration of the residency to ensure that the artist is closely connected to the community.
Reflecting our institutional commitment to advance diversity, equity, inclusion and justice, Inly’s Artist in Residence program seeks to elevate, amplify, and support Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) artists.
As a teaching residency, the Artist in Residence will collaborate with the Inly faculty and staff to develop participatory projects for the students that leverage the da Vinci Studio maker space and art-making facilities on campus. The artist will fulfill 30 hours per week preparing lessons and teaching toddler through middle school-age students. Additionally, students may have the opportunity for observation of studio work during school hours.
Residency: 2023–24 School Year; Start date to be determined
Eligible Applicants must be:
- An experienced artist and provide five samples of recent work
- At least 21 years old upon submission of application
- Self-identified member of the BIPoC communities
- Experienced with teaching in an educational setting
- Artist will collaborate with Inly’s Upper and Lower School Directors and Art Teachers.
- Artist will also commit to one public Artist Talk and a culminating community art exhibit.
- Artist may participate in program events and special projects with the Inly Community
- Artist is responsible for their own personal art materials and food costs during residency.
- Residency is awarded to the individual artist only (partners/spouses or pets are not included).
- Artist must submit CORI/SORI documentation.
Selected Artist in Residence receives:
- Access to studio space on Inly’s campus
- Housing provided.
- A stipend of $8,000 for participation in the 8-week program
- Materials for educational usage